Sunday, February 16, 2014

Universal Humanity

Living a safe and non diverse life can cause people to turn inward. Their problems are the worst in the world, their relationships are the only that matter, their childhood friends the only trustworthy people. It's difficult to imagine the lives of others especially of different ages, races, cultures or prosperity. Going to New Orleans puts everything in perspective. It can be getting invited into the lives of people when you change their lightbulbs, sharing secrets with people you met 10 months ago  who you know you can now trust, or getting fed a home cooked meal by people who you're helping; whatever it is, it causes reality to change. 


In my few days here I have seen New Orleans children who remind me of my brothers when they were young; excited, curious and able to fall in love with any older girl who enters their lives however briefly. I have seen a grandmother, exhausted but with so much love for her grandchildren. I have seen people I have gone to school with for years who I've always thought life was easy for share difficulties I could never have imagined. It just makes you realize that pain, happiness, love and fear are not only felt by you. From Massachusetts  to Louisiana and everywhere else  people live with the same needs; not just food and shelter but the need to be happy, to be loved and to be understood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment