Monday, February 17, 2014

Rebuilding Myself

I can honestly say that today was the hardest I've worked in my entire life. I spent the day gutting a house, which basically means I took a sledgehammer and crowbar to drywall and tile for 7 hours. Between wearing respirators and the 80 degree humidity inside the house it was almost impossible to breathe, but i still managed to have more fun than I've had in a long time. I couldn't believe how much progress we made by the end of the day, and I think the site coordinator felt the same way. We worked so efficiently as a team and I'm honestly proud to be a part of such a devoted group.

One of the questions I've been asked a lot throughout my years in the program is why we still go down to New Orleans still since it's been 9 years since Katrina. I've come to realize pretty defiantly that Nola is about much more than rebuilding from Hurricane Katrina, or even rebuilding in general. Down here we work with a demographic that flat-out doesn't exist in Massachusetts. The relationships we form and experiences we go through are so different from anything back home and I think that is the learning part of Nola service learning. I'm so happy to have been a part of this program and I know that i wouldn't be the same person had I never got involved.

- Miles Massidda

No comments:

Post a Comment