Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Really Cool Moment

So my name is Brandon and, as the title suggests, i had a really cool moment today. On my way back from a long day sorting beads at ARC, i saw something from the road that really moved me. Last year i spent a day working on a large urban mural on Hoffman Street. The point of the project was to brighten the mood of the neighborhood, which was rather rundown. The project was run by a man by the name of Henry who is no longer volunteering with United Saints. This was one of my favorite projects last year because it was so much different than all of the others and i had many a conversation with Henry, who was an amazing artist and individual and also an avid fan of underground hip-hop, like myself. Anyway, we painted an amazing mural that really brightened the neighborhood (along with several other incredible works of art that Henry did by himself on other occasions). Wow, i just realized how much i was rambling. Oh well, back to the point of this post. Today i saw that mural. From the road. Just as bright and beautiful as it was the day i finished it. It was untouched. No graffiti. No weathering. No fading. It was perfect. Just as i remembered it. And maybe this was just me since i helped paint it, but it really seemed to brighten that neighborhood. It was one of the most amazing feelings. To realize that i was a part of the change that that neighborhood experienced. As Ghandi and Mr. Kane have always preached, I WAS the change. I helped to brighten. I DID that. It was incredible.  I was speechless. I cant even explain the euphoria. And dont even get me started on the nostalgia. So many memories. I could go on for days and nobody reading this would be able to experience, or even understand what i was feeling. It was truly amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment