Saturday, February 22, 2014

Life of the past

          Before the trip Kane always talked about the difference between 'Nola' time and normal time, however I never could really understand until I experienced it myself. Boy, was that realization a doozy. This trip - or should I say journey, has felt like a day. Yet each day felt like weeks. Looking back over my entire experience, I can proudly say that I have indeed changed, this trip placed all of the trivial quarrels and trials in my life into immense perspective. The worldseems much more grey than ever before, and although that may be confusing and emotional at times, one should always prefer grey over checker board.
          What I found to be particularly amazing, was how quickly United Saints became my home. Early on my second morning down in New Orleans I came to except my fate. This was my new home, these were me new family members, and that mess hall was our dining room. So once I returned to my real home here, something was wrong. It was as if I had abandoned my new life, for a life of the past. For if one thing is for sure, I am no longer the same. I have seen some pretty interesting things this past week, yet the sight that I deemed to be the strangest - was my own bedroom. Something about my room felt off, yet for a few minutes I could not realize what it was. Until it hit me and the water works began to shed once more... I was alone in my room, with only my self and my dog. Not ten others.
       Of course, it was impeccably amazing to see my family again, yet amongst all the reunion hugs, I could still feel the hugs of our departure lingering through me. I have made so many friends, as well as made prior ones indestructible. This was truly the best experience of my small seventeen years. Although I know and understand that others will not be able to fully grasp the emotions and the memories I hold, I still feel comforted knowing that my fellow travelers will well understand and relate.  I miss everyone so much already! I am so much looking forward to our continuation of the sandwich making at seven o clock in the beloved Kane's room. Thank you for such an amazing, and life changing experience. As J.A. Put it to my friend and I "This program will straight up ruin your life, but you will be okay with that," and he was right, I will never see things the same again, but the fact is - I don't want to.
                            - Hannah Britten

No comments:

Post a Comment