Thursday, February 13, 2014

Here's to My Family Breaking Through

     Last night at our last team bonding before the trip (although, evidently, I would dare to say the whole program is "team bonding"...more on that later) one of the activities we did involved drawing/writing our goals down on a piece of wood, and on the other side drawing/writing what prevents us from achieving that goal. With a partner holding our board up, we were challenged to break through the preventing side of the board with the palm of our hand; both mentally and physically allowing us to conquer the preventions and "break through" to our goals. Silly, it might seem to you - it did to me too. This was an activity you might think was symbolic enough to get you thinking, but never did I think it would actually get you feeling too. It's ironic because when Mr. Kane warned us that we might get a little emotional about it, I was thinking that wouldn't be me, but it was. The most ironic part of it all though, is that breaking through to my goal wasn't quite what made me feel something. But when I saw the people around me getting emotional and breaking into tears-the people that I've known for 10 months now- I don't know, seeing people I'm so close to accomplishing something bigger than them, I can't help but be happy for them.


     It might be hard to understand if you're not part of this group, but I'll do my best. The connection this group has is that of the happiest family you'll ever know. You have to understand: these are the people I've spent countless hours with, weekends, weekdays, late nights; the people I ate thanksgiving dinner with, the people I exchanged Secret Santa gifts with, the people who sit down next to you and strike a conversation with you about anything and everything, the people who willingly and unwillingly support my coffee addiction, and the people I'll travel on my first plane with. What I'm trying to say is that they're more than people to me. Because when you do all those things with "people" they're not just people anymore- they're you're family. As cliché as it might sound, we are a family. I've been a part of a multitude of sports teams, councils, programs, organizations if you will, and never have I ever been a part of a group that was this close-knit, this friendly and truly enjoys each and everyone's presence.


     With that said, there are 11 hours 45 minutes and 54 seconds left (but I mean, hey who's counting?) until we begin our journey down to New Orleans and I couldn't be more ecstatic. The 10 months prior to this day have been lots of hard work, commitment and time, but I wouldn't have asked for it any other way. It's nearly quarter past 10:00p.m. and I've just finished packing. My biggest concern would have to be my suitcase weighing more than 50lbs., which I'm really hoping doesn't happen. But I'm all set to go and now I'll eagerly await the arrival of our bus tomorrow. Hey, maybe I won't need coffee tomorrow, maybe the adrenaline will be enough. For those of you that know me, that was a joke. I'm extremely excited for the plane ride because as I mentioned above, this will be my first time on a plane and I can't wait!


     To wrap this up, the whole group has grown exponentially over the past 10 months and I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around the idea of how much closer together we will grow over the next 8 days. Here's to my family. You guys are awesome and I'll see you all in the morning. Big day ahead of us.


-Dominique Goyette-Connerty

No comments:

Post a Comment