Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Half way

Hannah Britten
Realizing that it was already Tuesday, I began reflecting  specifically on the beginning of the journey. I enjoy routine,  so I found it dumbfounding that by the second day of this amazing journey, I had already accepted united saints as my new home. This is my bed, my room, my people.
Today I went to an amazing foundation called ARC, a group that recycles old Mardi gras beads by re selling them and using the money to employ amazing people - who so happened to have a mental disorder. This trip has finally proven to me, that my core opinion is correct. I have finally been met half way with the concept : everyone has goodness and impeccable potential inside of  them. Throughout my life I have come across people who deem that ideal to be sweet yet unrealistic. Yet there I was inside peoples homes replacing lightbulbs, with extravagant kindness and thanks. There I was talking to a man who abandoned his wonderful job and abruptly moved to New Orleans after Katrina. And there I was hugging a man, who pleaded for me never  to forget him. The emotion and truth behind every soul is amazing. This adventure has been a year in the making, and four years in my dreams. So here I am - not helping, but assisting a cause bigger than myself ...Thank you to all my peers, mentors, and family. I have realized so much this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment