Sunday, February 16, 2014

First days

Today was our first full day doing service in New Orleans. We spent the day at the Houma Native American School House, working with Tomas and his friends and family. We worked on several projects such as building two porches for the school, clearing a trail in the woods, and painting and repairing the ceiling of the school.
     On the way to the reservation, I was expecting directions on how to build the steps, or how to repair the hole in the ceiling, but after arriving, I found that we were given very little instruction and we were allowed to work together to complete the projects. Everyone in the group was extremely understanding of each other and helped one another whenever we were in need. Myself and many others have never used a power tool, but today, with the help of the many great people that I have come so close to because of this trip, I learned how to use a nail gun. I found that although many of us were inexperienced, those that have had experience were not impatient, but extremely helpful. Today, we worked together as a group to complete the projects and were determined to finish the task at hand, even if it meant staying for an extra hour. I feel as though today was an amazing start to our week in this city that I have already come to love. Today proved that in the next week, we will accomplish so much, grow, and become so much closer as we continue to do what we all love.  I cannot wait to see what we accomplish.
         
Kaila Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment