Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Different Perspective

The stories I hear at reflection each night from my peers have given me insight to the accomplishments of each day at their respective work sites. Hearing about each experience at the end of an exhausting yet fun filled day inspires me. Inspiration that I have experienced in no place other than New Orleans. When we come together for reflection, each student has already had such different experiences. By the end of the week, not one person will have been at the same place with the same people every single day. Each individual is different, as is each experience but with that we all take away something so similar. A true understanding to the meaning of service. Imagine- a group of 40+ teenagers, who enthusiastically embrace the experience of service in an amazing city. Students from the most diverse areas of North Middlesex come together to tile a floor, paint a church, or gut an entire house. What is most amazing to me, is when you need help, any kind of help, someone from a different social group is there for you. They will hold the ten-foot ladder so you do not fall. It is experiences like this that give me faith in the goodness of humanity. I have been able to embrace every second of my New Orleans experience this year, and for that I am grateful.
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment