Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day 2- Houma

Honestly, I have no idea how it's only been 2 days. It's probably been the longest days of my life, but in no way at all is that a bad thing! I'm trying to make this week together be the longest, and most memorable yet: from the flight down, with maybe just a little too much turbulence, to Blair Grocery yesterday with Turner, Green Light, The Lower 9th, and Café Du Monde in The Quarter. And then today, starting with the BK stop for breakfast, and Houma with Tomas and the rest of the tribe. Thinking back, we've done so much in such an unimaginable small amount of time, and I couldn't have asked for it any other way.
What's standing out to me the most is what we were saying at reflection around the fire: how Tomas didn't treat us like his volunteers, or employees, but like his family. He trusted us with all of his power tools, And wasn't afraid to let us work the way we thought we could make it work. He wasn't afraid to just step back and let is do what we wanted, while also making sure we were doing things the safe way. At one point in the day, I had only walked outside for what was meant to be a second, and I ended up learning how to use a skill saw in about 5 minutes, and managed to cut about 10 boards without too much help from the guys! This is what I mean when I say Tomas wasn't afraid to step back and let us experiment and have fun. Looking at me working with the skill saw was probably a pretty weird sight: a 5'1" girl standing on her tippy toes trying to see over it cutting on over a four foot tall saw horse. If I was back home in Townsend, people probably would have thought he was insane for letting me do this, just by the looks of it, but I knew with two of the guys holding down the ends of the board, and teaching the proper way to do things, there was nothing that will stop me from jumping in at home now!
Little things like these is what I really think makes our group work the way it does. We are never afraid to step up and do something we would never even thing about doing back home, and are always willing to try something new, no matter how ridiculous. Let's continue to make this week even better as the days go by, and keep doing amazing things!
-Sam Meehan

1 comment:

  1. Sam- another member of this group I am so Proud of.. You are all learning amazing things about yourselves and in your case new skills! :-)
    Reading all of these postings and driving home the value of Teamwork in your group. Look at all that you have accomplished in just a couple days... As your week comes to a close. Continue to bond and reflect on the good you have done.
    Lorry -

    ReplyDelete