Sunday, February 23, 2014

An Experience of a Lifetime

Today I sit here in Pepperell, MA pondering all of my thoughts and really absorbing what has just hit me. I am usually not an emotional person at all but once I returned home and sat in my bedroom reading all those comments that my peers wrote about me I broke down. During the trip when others cried and were upset I always wondered what made them so upset and how their emotions took over so quickly. I can honestly say I understand now, the aftermath of the trip is what got to me. The second we arrived home I was so exciting to see my family and talk with them about what I consider to be the best week of my life. However when I walked through my front door every time I spoke I choked on my words, not being able to explain anything because every time I opened my mouth the memories would come back into my mind. During the trip I dreaded reflections but understood that they were so necessary for a trip like this. Last night the only think I said to myself was I want to be around a fire in New Orleans with 48 of my best friends who I call a family now.

Before leaving for the trip everyone who was a returning member told me you will change. The thought of change scared me, was it going to be for the better or worse? The moment I knew it was going to be was for the better was on Monday after I did my first day of service at Mr. George's house for United Saints. I got out of a 12 passenger van and saw this beautiful mural across the street it stated "Be the Change... You seek". The change I want to seek is to become a better person to those directly around me like friends and family and to help those whom are in need. New Orleans has changed me, I have learned so much from all of the people that I have spent this last week with and it's going to take time to recover mentally and emotionally from what I have just endured. I can not thank every other member in this fantastic group enough for all they have done for me so for one last time I say Thank you everyone and I love all of you so much

~Michael Spagnolo

No comments:

Post a Comment