Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Change in Perspective

I have started to see a change in myself this week. It started at Green Light on Saturday. Green Light is an organization that has volunteers go around and change people's incandescent lightbulbs into CFL lightbulbs to help conserve energy. My group was dispatched to a very impoverished neighborhood and I remember feeling confused as to why they would just let some teens walk around and go into the homes of strangers. This put me on edge as we navigated the streets. As we walked by one home, a man came out from his backyard and started speaking loudly and walking towards us. He spoke so fast I couldn't comprehend what was saying. I ignored him and kept walking because I assumed he was probably kind of crazy or meant us harm. But he came up to me and said "Are you all ignoring me? I am trying to tell you that I am one of the houses that needs lightbulbs." I felt so guilty for immediately judging this man because of where he lived and how he was speaking. So after that I set a goal to look at people in a different light. He helped me change. I am reminded of a quote from Buddha that goes "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." . I know now that I must use common sense, but to also treat people with respect and give everyone a chance. That man opened my eyes to one of my weaknesses. I know now that every person I interact with should be thought of as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment