Thursday, February 13, 2014

14 Hours 1 Minute 8 Seconds

     14 hours 1 minute 8 seconds until the moment I have been anxiously awaiting for the past 9 months. Ten months ago it was the moment that I never thought would come. It is the moment that was inconceivable 13 months ago, and in my world, 24 months ago, this moment did not exist. Now, I can't imagine the past 9 months without it.
     I remember my first time learning about the service learning program, it was at the activities fair on freshman welcome day. After passing by the NOLA and New York/ Philadelphia tables  I recall thinking to myself that I was too busy for such a huge commitment. At this point my schedule was laden with dance classes, and dance was my number one priority. A few months into my freshman year during my first period french class Mr. Kane called me up to his desk. He asked why I was not involved in the service learning program. Unfortunately I replied with my signature response, "I would but.... I have dance." Luckily, Mr. Kane did not give up hope in me. Thanks to him within the next month or so I became a coordinator of Giving Tree.
     Before I knew it I was in love with service learning, and by May I officially became a member of NOLA. Despite my love for the program I still lacked the understanding of what I had gotten myself into. Ten Months later after hours upon hours spent working on different projects in Kane's room I am starting to comprehend what an impact this program has on our community. Kane always says how we don't truly know what we have done, because to us it's natural, to us the work seems insignificant and the change appears miniscule. Of course considering the number of lives we have changed through Giving Tree, PACH, Heifer, the garden, and every other project we have been a part of the thought that what we have done is insignificant is pure insanity.
     These past ten months have been the most rewarding of my life. From my first day in the garden when I  met Ben and Evan, to my first day at Heifer, to my first fundraiser, NOLA has kept me sane and transformed me. Countless memories have been embedded in my brain, but most importantly with each of these events came a new friendship. These amazing people that have blessed me with their presence are some of the most compassionate, empathetic, selfless, and kind I have ever met. It only took me 15 years to get here and a few moments to realize how wonderful this family would be. With only 13 hours 8 minutes and 40 seconds to go, I have never felt more at home and inspired in my 5775 days on earth.

~Liz Palmer


No comments:

Post a Comment